I. Dùng "middle" như adj
1. Mang nghĩa "ở giữa, trung bình"
=nearest the centre and with an equal number of people or things on each side / happening in the part between the beginning and the end of something, or between the highest and lowest point of something
- The map’s in the middle drawer. the middle lane of the motorway
- The middle section of the book deals with training a dog.
- Take the middle elevator. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Đi thang máy giữa ấy)
- middle-income families
- a middle-sized (= average-sized) sheepdog
- The middle button of his uniform jacket was strained over his belly.
- ...the middle finger of her left hand
2. Mang nghĩa "giữa độ tuổi nào đó"
=If someone is in their middle thirties, for example, they are aged somewhere approximately between thirty-four and thirty-six.
- She knew he was in his middle fifties although he looked much younger.
- I went on competing till I was in my middle forties
- We approach middle age. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Chúng tôi gần tới tuổi trung niên)
3. Mang nghĩa "con giữa/thứ trong nhà"
- The middle child in a family has equal numbers of younger and older brothers and sisters.
- His middle son died in a drowning accident five years back.
4. Mang nghĩa "ở giữa thái cực nào"
- The middle course or way is a moderate course of action that lies between two opposite and extreme courses.
- He favoured a middle course between free enterprise and state intervention
II. Dùng "middle" như noun
1. "middle" là danh từ đếm được, thường ở số ít
2. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa "giữa"
1.1. Về vị trí
=The middle of something is the part of it that is furthest from its edges, ends, or outside surface.
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- in the middle (of something)
- into the middle (of something)
- down/through the middle
- in the middle
- right/(slap) bang/smack in the middle of something (=exactly in the middle of something)
- Howard stood in the middle of the room, sipping a cup of coffee.
- Hyde accelerated away from the kerb, swerving out into the middle of the street.
- I was in the middle of the back row. Make sure the roast potatoes aren't raw in the middle.
- There was a large cat sitting in the middle of the road.
- the middle of the room (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chỗ giữa phòng a wound)
- in the middle of his back (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: vết thương ở giữa lưng nó)
- Katy threw the stone into the middle of the pond.
- a sheet with a blue stripe down the middle
- The cake was still frozen in the middle.
- They’ve put a horrible statue smack in the middle of the courtyard.
1.2. Về thời gian
=The middle of an event or period of time is the part that comes after the first part and before the last part.
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- middle of
- in the middle of something
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- I woke up in the middle of the night and could hear a tapping on the window.
- It was now the middle of November, cold and often foggy.
- She was born in the middle of a rain storm.
- the middle of the 15th century
- in the very middle of the night (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: đúng vào lúc nửa đêm)
- in the middle of our century (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: vào giữa thế kỷ của chúng ta)
- Why are you creeping about in the middle of the night?
- He fell asleep in the middle of the film.
2. Mang nghĩa "chỗ thắt lưng"