I. Dùng "extension" như noun
1. "extension"vừa là danh từ đếm được vừa là danh từ không đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"phòng/con đường mở rộng, nối dài"
=An extension is a new room or building which is added to an existing building or group of buildings./An extension is a new section of a road or rail line that is added to an existing road or line.
- We are building an extension on the back of our house.
- He has applied for permission to build a single-storey extension to his house.
- ...the Jubilee Line extension.
- We're building an extension to/on our house.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"đường dây điện thoại đi từ máy điện thoại chính hoặc từ tổng đài tới một văn phòng khác; máy nhánh"
=An extension is a phone line that is connected to the switchboard of a company or institution, and that has its own number.
- The written abbreviation ext. is also used.
- She can get me on extension 308.
- there are extensions in every office (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: văn phòng nào cũng các máy điện thoại nhánh)
- For further information, please contact 414 3925, extension 2253.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"sự mở rộng"
=the fact of reaching, stretching, or continuing; the act of adding to something in order to make it bigger or longer:
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- Martin Luther King, Jr, campaigned for the extension of civil rights to (= for them to include) black people.
- The extension (= increasing) of police powers in the province has been heavily criticized.
- His report contained serious criticisms of the finance director, and, by extension (= therefore), of the entire board of management.
- The article is an extension of (= takes further) the ideas Professor Fox developed in an earlier book.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"sự gia hạn, kéo dài thời gian"
=An extension is an extra period of time for which something lasts or is valid, usually as a result of official permission/an increase in the period of time during which something is effective
- a contract extension I applied for an extension to my visa.
- We’re building an extension on our house to enlarge the kitchen.
- I've applied for an extension to my visa (= asked for it to last longer).
- Extension of a business co-operation contract (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: sự gia hạn một hợp đồng hợp tác kinh doanh)
- To get an extension (of time ) (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: được gia hạn (về thời gian))
- They are hoping to get an extension of their loan (= to be given a longer period of time in which to pay it back).
- He first entered Britain on a six-month visa, and was given a further extension of six months
- When it failed to meet the deadline, the company was granted an extension.
- The company has negotiated an extension to the deadline for its £275 million cash-and-paper offer, originally expected tomorrow.
2.5. Mang nghĩa"sự duỗi thẳng ra (chân, tay hoặc ngón tay)"
=the action of stretching part of your body
Các khóa học IELTS online 1 kèm 1 - 100% cam kết đạt target 6.0 - 7.0 - 8.0 - Đảm bảo đầu ra - Thi không đạt, học lại FREE
>> Thành tích học sinh IELTS TUTOR với hàng ngàn feedback được cập nhật hàng ngày