I. "life"vừa là danh từ đếm được vừa không đếm được
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"sự sống"
=the state of being alive
- He believed his life was in danger.
- The disease is still claiming thousands of lives every year.
- to lay down one's life for the country (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: hy sinh tính mệnh cho tổ quốc)
- a matter of life and death (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: một vấn đề sống còn)
- They risk their lives to protect the people they love.
- They are putting lives at risk with their irresponsible behaviour.
2. Mang nghĩa"tuổi thọ, thời gian tồn tại"
=the period of time from someone’s birth until their death/the period of time during which something exists or continues
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, life vừa là danh từ đếm được, vừa không đếm được
- spend your life
- in (all) your life
- all your life
- early life (=the time when you are a child)
- adult life (=the time when you are an adult)
- in later life (=towards the end of someone’s life)
- late in life (=at a time in your life that is later than usual)
- for life (=continuing through your whole life)
- life of
- She devoted her life to helping others.
- He had a long and happy life.
- Don’t spend your whole life worrying about money.
- I have never been so disappointed in my life.
- She’s lived in California all her life.
- He spent his early life in Malaysia.
- He lived most of his adult life in prison.
- It was in later life that he wrote some of his best poems.
- She got married late in life.
- The accident left her scarred for life.
- During the life of this government, unemployment has increased by 5%.
- The average life of a television is about ten years.
3. Mang nghĩa"nhân sinh, đời sống"
=your particular way of living and the experiences that you have/the events and experiences that are typical of a particular place or group of people
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, life vừa là danh từ không đếm được vừa là danh từ đếm được (thường ở số ít)
- lead a happy/normal/interesting etc life
- a hard life (=a difficult life)
- city/village/prison/university etc life
- the life of someone
- married life (=the time when you are married or the life that you have)
- see life (=experience a lot of different things)
- His life revolves around his children.
- It was an event that would change his life forever.
- I just want to be able to lead a normal life.
- She looks like someone who’s had a very hard life.
- I had no idea what life with a baby would be like.
- Escape from the bustle and noise of city life for a while.
- The life of a film star is not always a glamorous one.
- How’s married life suiting you?
- He’s a person who really loves life.
- His mother has a great enthusiasm for life.
- You really see life in my job.
4. Mang nghĩa"vật thể/con người sống"
=living things such as plants and animals
- We are now beginning to believe that there may be life on other planets.
- the great variety of bird life in the area
5. Mang nghĩa"tù chung thân"
- You’d expect him to get life for such a serious crime.
6. Mang nghĩa"sinh động, sống động"
=the amount of activity or excitement in a place/ interesting or exciting qualities