I. "cross" vừa là nội động từ, vừa là ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"băng qua, vượt qua, đi ngang qua"
1.1. Mang nghĩa "Băng qua"
=If you cross something such as a room, a road, or an area of land or water, you move or travel to the other side of it.
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, cross vừa là nội động từ, vừa là ngoại động từ
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- She was partly to blame for failing to look as she crossed the road.
- They have crossed the border into Greece and asked for political asylum.
- In 1838 the first iron sailing vessel crossed the Atlantic.
- It's not a good place to cross the road.
- Look both ways before you cross over (= cross the road).
- Cross the bridge and turn right.
- They crossed from Albania into Greece.
1.2. Mang nghĩa "Con đường cắt qua, cắt chéo nhau"
=A road, railway, or bridge that crosses an area of land or water passes over it /Lines or roads that cross meet and go across each other.
- The Defford to Eckington road crosses the river half a mile outside Eckington
- ...the intersection where Main and Center Streets cross.
- It is near where the pilgrimage route crosses the road to Quimper.
2. Mang nghĩa"vượt quá giới hạn"
=If someone or something crosses a limit or boundary, for example the limit of acceptable behaviour, they go beyond it.
- I normally never write into magazines but Mr Stubbs has finally crossed the line.
- Candidates must get 5 per cent of the vote to continue.
- Many will fail to cross that threshold.
3. Mang nghĩa"cảm xúc biểu hiện qua gương mặt"
=If an expression crosses someone's face, it appears briefly on their face.
- Berg tilts his head and a mischievous look crosses his face.
- A faint smile crossed his lips
4. Mang nghĩa"vắt chéo tay/chân"
=If you cross your arms, legs, or fingers, you put one of them on top of the other.
- Jill crossed her legs and rested her chin on one fist, as if lost in deep thought.
- Pop crossed his arms over his chest and watched us.
- to cross one's legs (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: vắt chéo chân)
- to cross one's arms on one's chest (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: khoanh tay trước ngực)
- He was sitting there in the living room with his legs crossed
5. cross sb's mind
=If something crosses your mind, you think of it
- It crossed my mind yesterday that you must be short of staff.
- It never once crossed my mind that she might be unhappy.
6. Mang nghĩa"cản trở, gây trở ngại, làm bực mình"
=to annoy someone by not doing or saying what they want
- I wouldn't cross him if I were you, not if you value your life.