I."form"vừa là ngoại động từ, vừa là nội động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"thành hình, tạo thành, nặn thành, xếp hàng..."
=If something is arranged or changed so that it becomes similar to a thing with a particular structure or function, you can say that it forms that thing/to move together to create a particular shape
- A queue forms outside Peter's study.
- They formed a circle and sang 'Auld Lang Syne'.
- The General gave orders for the cadets to form into lines
- The boys and girls formed a line behind their teacher.
- A dozen or so armed guards formed a ring around the exit.
- These panels folded up to form a screen some five feet tall.
- All the buildings have names and form a half circle.
- Roll the clay between your hands and form it into a ball.
2. Mang nghĩa"tổ chức, thiết lập, thành lập"
=If you form an organization, group, or company, you start it.
- to form a class for beginners in English (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tổ chức một lớp cho người bắt đầu học tiếng Anh)
- to form a new government (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: thành lập chính phủ mới)
- to form an alliance (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: thành lập một liên minh)
- ...the articles that formed the basis of Randolph's book.
- Cereals form the staple diet of an enormous number of people around the world.
- They tried to form a study group on human rights.
- They formed themselves into teams.
3. Mang nghĩa"thói quen, ấn tượng... được tạo thành"
=When something natural forms or is formed, it begins to exist and develop/to make something start to exist or develop
- The stars must have formed 10 to 15 billion years ago.
- Huge ice sheets were formed
- His habit is forming (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: thói quen của anh ta đang thành nếp)
- She formed a deep attachment to the child.
- The valley was formed by erosion.
- He has been with the club since it was first formed in 1972.
- The interview will give you a chance to form an impression of the company.
4. Mang nghĩa"nghĩ ra, hình thành (ý kiến...)"
=If you form a relationship, a habit, or an idea, or if it forms, it begins to exist and develop.
5. Mang nghĩa"hình thành tính cách"
=If you say that something forms a person's character or personality, you mean that it has a strong influence on them and causes them to develop in a particular way.
- Anger at injustice formed his character.
- Her character was largely formed by the loss of her family in the war.
6. Mang nghĩa"bao gồm"
=to be something, or to be the parts that something consists of
- Fieldwork forms an important part of the course.
- Mountains form a natural barrier that keeps invaders out.
- Land ownership formed the basis of their wealth and power.